Radon in the News
AccuStar and RadonAway Products Featured in Boston News Report
On February 14, 2013 the Boston ABC-TV affiliate, WCVB, telecast a news report on radon. The report, which was a result of the recent "Capital Steps to Radon Action" CanSAR event at the State House in Boston, gave state and national radon statistics and included interviews with Capital Steps organizer Margie Lynch and David Rossinow, a home inspector and event participant. (For more details on the Capital Steps event, see the previous News post by scrolling down on this page.)
During this news segment, Rossinow explained radon testing methods and demonstrated the use of a continuous radon monitor, using a RadStar RS800 for his demonstration; an AccuStar LS air test kit was among the short-term tests shown later in the report. Toward the end of the segment the focus turned to radon mitigation, with the camera showing a portion of an installed radon mitigation system, including a view of the system pipe, where a RadonAway Dynameter u-tube manometer was clearly visible.
CanSAR "Capital Steps to Radon Action" Event
January 30, 2013
Three Spruce Staff Members Participate in CanSAR "Capital Steps to Radon Action" Event in Boston
Advocates in Massachusetts gathered at the State House steps in Boston on Wednesday, January 30, to help promote radon awareness and action. This was the first time that Massachusetts supporters joined with advocates in other states to participate in the annual "Capital Steps to Radon Action" event organized by Cancer Survivors Against Radon (CanSAR), www.cansar.org. State Representative Kate Hogan met with the group on the steps to discuss the need for legislative action against radon. Among the Massachusetts group were three Spruce staff members: Melanie Gray and Tina DíIntinosanto of AccuStar Labs in Medway and Pat Everett, Marketing Services Manager for all Spruce brands.
The Massachusetts event organizer was Margie Lynch, whose mother Jean was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer in 2010, dying eight months later. Jean Lynch's house in Stow was tested for radon after her death as part of the sales process. A measurement in the basement yielded results of 19.1 picoCuries/Liter, almost 5 times higher than EPAís recommended Action level for radon. Lynch is committed to ensuring others don't suffer a similar fate. "My mother loved her home so much, so itís especially sad to my family that a simple test might have saved her life. I think most people, like my mother, are unaware that they may be at risk just from going about their daily lives." Lynch and the other advocates will hand out information about radon and free test kits at the event. They also hope to elevate the issue of radon in the public policy dialog in Massachusetts, which currently has no radon regulations. By contrast, laws have just gone into effect requiring radon testing in day care centers in Illinois and in rental housing in Maine starting in 2014.
The event caught the interest of Bostonís ABC television affiliate, WCVB, which will air a news segment on radon testing and mitigation on February 14 and 15. One of the State House CanSAR advocates, David Rossinow of Highland Home Inspections, was interviewed for the show.
Rossen Reports: Is your child breathing radon gas at school?
February 29, 2012 | TODAY
Officials say itís in thousands of classrooms, but many districts are doing nothing
Dave Hill Radio Interview with Gary Sullivan
February 11, 2012 | garysullivanonline.com
Dave Hill, VP of Sales & Marketing at RadonAway was interviewed by Gary Sullivan during At Home With Gary Sullivan Radio Network's special broadcast from the International Builders' Show in Orlando Florida on February 11, 2012.
- Click here to listen to the audio recording of this intervew. (Dave Hill interview starts at 17 minutes into this video)
Radon: Iowa's stealthy killer
May 27, 2011 | Business Record
Iowa is a hotbed for elevated levels of radon, a naturally occurring, odorless, colorless, radioactive gas that seeps from the soil into the basements of homes
Radon: Invisible Killer
May 27, 2011 | The Roanoke Times
Ginger Collins died of lung cancer in February. Her family believes the cause of Collins' disease can be attributed to exposure to radon, a colorless, odorless natural gas that is fairly common in Western Virginia.
The #1 Cancer Risk at Home
February 10, 2011 | The Dr. Oz Show